Here I give some advice how to paint hair in oil paint.
- 1. Always provide softness where the hairline meets the background.
- 2. Painting individual hairs is one of the biggest pitfalls. Make simple planes that show the character of the hair. Avoid the “Spagettie haircut” How? SQUINT! Close your eyes almost and look through your eyelashes. Now you only see the larger volumes and certainly no separate hairs. Try to achieve this simplification in your painting.
- 3. Paint sporadically “bouncy” hairs. Do you see a hundred? Make three!
- 4. Mauve is often a solution for those parts of the hairstyle that captures light. (Mauve is a combination of ultramarine blue + crimson + white)
- 5. Another point of attention is the transition from the hair to the forehead. Make it softer. Exaggerate that softness!
General advice, See as much colours as possible in every hair complexion. For example, in red hair there is also green.